Sunday, November 22, 2009

B-Boys and Green Smoothies

On Saturday, Erik and I went to see a hip hop dance performance with our friend, Lacie.  It was a good show, and it was also interesting to see Korea's own unique brand of hip hop.  There were definitely some dancers there who could bust a move.  One guy spun so much on his head that the wore a helmet; it was like watching the spins of an ice skater upside down.  You'd have to be so strong to pull off the windmills and spins that we saw; to be good at break dancing, you have to be dedicated. 

The music that some of the crews chose was interesting.  There was classical music, oldies, and even Brittney Spears, (and of course hip hop), but there was a lot less rap than I would have thought.  A big difference is that back home, if you're going to break dance or Step, your song has to have a base line.  Several songs at this performance had little or no base.  I would definitely say that many of the dancers had some real soul to their moves, but it was funny to see them attempt to imitate thug culture (at times in skinny jeans and ties).  All in all, it was an entertaining couple of hours, and a good time.  I'm glad I went; although I think it was more of an impromptu nap time for Erik.  :P

On a completely different note, Erik and I went Christmas shopping for each other (together) today.  We came away with some good stuff, and I was a good girl and wrapped everything and put it under the tree...except for one thing....a blender.  I just couldn't wait to make myself some green smoothies.  I'm going to try to have one for breakfast every morning.  For those of you who don't know, a green smoothie is a smoothie with the normal stuff like yogurt (if you're not vegan), fruit, and an equal amount of leafy greens like spinach, kale, etc.  They come out green colored, but tasting like fruit, and they are a great way to get leafy greens into your diet.  Yum!

No comments: