Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Similarities and Differences

I remember before I came to Korea, I imagined how different it would be.  I read the travel guides and prepared myself for the culture shock that I knew would come.  I read that you must wear socks, even with sandals, or you may be chastised on the street.  That you won't have access to western food, medicine, or personal hygiene prodcuts.  That sleeveless shirts are taboo, as is holding hands and eating rice with chopsticks.  The list went on and on as to how different Korean culture is from American culture. 

When I arrived in Korea, I was surprised to find that going sockless and sleeveless is okay, no one cares what you eat your rice with, the local supermarket has everything from Pace picante sauce to Clean & Clear face wash, and Korean couples hug and hold hands in the street just like American couples. 

I was so sure that Korea would be completely different, but what surprised me is how similar it is.  Sure, there are many differences, such as the abundance of squid and octopus restaurants, but in many ways it's similar to America.  No matter where you are, people need to eat, sleep, work, go to school, etc.  As a result, there are the same restaurants, apartment buildings, office buildings, schools, and shopping malls that you find anywhere you go.  The names and brands might be different, but they are essentially the same.  Coming here taught me that, first, people are just people.  The world is a lot smaller, and people a lot more similar, that I ever thought. 

No comments: